October 8th, 2010 |
Looking for a unique idea for Halloween decor? Something a little more festive, than scary? I am absolutely smitten with this idea from Parents Magazine! Create a “haunted family tree” to hang on a focal wall in your home by using black construction paper and silhouette ornaments. You can create an silhouette ornament for each family member, and if you are looking for ideas you should check out Le Papier Studio‘s new book, Silhouette Art: Papers, Instructions, and Patterns for Making Modern Heirlooms.
Wouldn’t this be darling in your foyer? Just think of all of the little ghosts and goblins that would admire it while trick or treating!
Amazon.com and WH Hostess are preferred sponsors of The Party Dress.
October 4th, 2010 |
Floral Art LA is one of my favorite go-to’s for modern floral inspiration. My new favorite?! These updated urns. They are fresh and airy-looking and are perfect for transitional seasons. For those of you that have been reading The Party Dress for a while now, you all know I have an obsession with white pumpkins and decorating with moss….so this is literally an “ah-ha!” moment for me! Wouldn’t these be perfect for a winter bridal shower?
September 29th, 2010 |
Yesterday, I showed you a peak into the engagement dinner party I threw for my sister over the weekend. The highlight of the decor was definitely the sunflower centerpiece….I loved the combination of the “palm-beach-chic” footed bowl and the sunflowers! Today, I am here to share with you instructions, so you can re-create this look too!
1. Gather your materials: a footed bowl, a wet foam half circle, and sunflowers (any full flower would work!).
2. Cut your foam to fit into the footed bowl (I squared off my sides to make it fit well), and soak it with water so it holds moisture.
3. Cut your flower so they have a 2-3″ stem – if your stems are not strong enough, use a little floral wire to strengthen them. Starting at the very top of your foam, insert the stems into your foam.
4. Make sure you space your blooms far enough that the stems won’t hit each other when being inserted into the foam, but close enough that you create a compact arrangement.
5. Repeat, working downwards from the top.
6. Voila! The finish product! Perfect for a dinner party, bridal shower or wedding celebration.
September 27th, 2010 |
I’m giving the “how-to” instructions on making this stylish candy corn wreath (from Woman’s Day Magazine) over on Project Nursery today. Isn’t it fabulous?! Head on over to get the full instructions…..
Image via Woman’s Day
September 21st, 2010 |
Looking for a Halloween decoration or centerpiece that is a bit more “glam” than “cute”? Look no further! This fabulous, simple idea from Woman’s Day is perfect for your Halloween party! I love the height of the black branches, and the touch of sparkle from the jewel ornaments.
August 25th, 2010 |
I’m loving the simplicity of this centerpiece/decoration idea from Sunset Magazine. By re-purposing a bird bath, or an upside down terracotta pot, you can create a soft glow for your late-summer parties with a few floating candles. Genius!
August 18th, 2010 |
I love the crisp, yet intricate style of this table setting from Pottery Barn. The combination of glass candlesticks, bottles and vases makes such an attractive, yet light-and-airy-feeling centerpiece. Perfect for transitioning into Fall…..
July 27th, 2010 |
The Party Dress’s shop thru OpenSky allows me to bring you some of the most fabulous entertaining items on the market – and today, it allows me to give you a discount on them! Shop fast! Now thru Saturday, July 31st – you can choose between these great offers:
– JulyFreeShip – free shipping on any product thru 7/31 or
– July20pct – take 20% off any one product thru 7/31
It’s the perfect time to pick up that item you have been pining over this summer! I leave you with a few of my new favorite items in the shop: blue dinner plates, blue & white ikat print salad plates, Trina Turk placemats & napkins, white and red wine decanters, and a stunning glass cloche/antique nickel cake stand. What are your favorite products in the shop?
July 21st, 2010 |
We’ve been having quite the heat wave here in Chicago this summer! The heat has me craving decor that SCREAMS summer, and now that the fourth of july and my birthday are over, my house needs a little summer update to get me thru until fall.
I’ve scoured the web for ideas, and here are a few that stood out to me that are perfect for making my home party-ready all summer long:
- Use sand dollars as placecards at your next dinner party. Simply write your guest’s name on the top and place it atop their napkin.
- Fill hurricanes or large cylinder vases with sand. You can add in some sea shells or starfish to add more of a beach look to it. These would be great clustered together on your table, or place large vessels on the floor.
- I keep fresh flowers in the house at all times. They make me happy! I love, love, love all white flowers – so this table setting just spoke to me!
- I love the idea of a miniature pie as a party favor for each one of your guests. Such a darling, homespun idea….perfect for a summer bbq!
- Create a hanging votive candle chandelier to hang over your patio table. This one was made out of simple, hardware store purchases – a pizza pan, chain links and a hook! Simply cover it with moss, add a few candles and voila! An inexpensive yet stylish update.
- It’s always good to have a couple hostess gifts on hand for those last minute invitations. These sea shell soaps from Beau-Coup are perfect! They also make a lovely party favor for a summer bridal shower or birthday party.
- Lemonade. This is my summer drink of choice and I simply can’t get enough! I love the idea of bottling it in juice bottles and gifting it to my guests at my next dinner party!
- Adding starfish to your decor adds a beach-y feeling that I just love! Tie a name card onto them and they serve as a fabulous placecard.
- Lanterns add a twinkle to your yard – whether they are big or small. Repeat, repeat, repeat! Trust me, they will add a festive feel to your home and yard!
Those are my finds for updating my home’s summer decor…..what are yours?
Images: sand dollar placecards, starfish placecards, mason jar lanterns (theknot.com), hurricanes (midwestliving.com), pie tablesetting (stylemepretty.com), hanging votive chandelier(goodhousekeeping.com), sea shell soaps (beau-coup.com), lemonade (eatdrinkchic.com)
Amazon and Beau-Coup are preferred sponsors of The Party Dress. For more information regarding advertising, please click here.
July 2nd, 2010 |
L-O-V-E this idea from Better Homes and Gardens! Perfect for the 4th of July, but also a great tip for dressing up any table:
These playful stripes were created by layering colorful rubberbands around a votive candle holder. Simple, right? So next time you are strolling thru Office Depot, take a peek at the colored rubber bands and get inspired!