I just love this creative cupcake topper idea from Carrie at Half Baked – The Cake Blog! Follow her simple steps to make these witch’s hat cupcake toppers for your Halloween party:
1. Grab a regular sized cupcake liner. Fold liner in half. Fold in half again, creating a pie-like wedge. Tape the two flaps together using double-sided tape, so that you have one solid triangle.
2. Fold in half again. Tape again. Now you should have a tall skinny wedge that is 1/8 the size of your original circle. If your liner is now a flat triangle due to folding, fluff it up with your finger so that it makes a cone.
3. Insert a toothpick into your cupcake and place your cone on top of the toothpick. This is the body of your hat. The toothpick will help your hat stay in place.
4. Grab a mini cupcake liner. Cut a hole in the middle of the liner. I found it easiest to do this by folding it in half and then cutting out a ‘C’ shape on the folded edge. Open up liner and slightly flatten with your hand for the brim.
5. Slide the brim down over your cone to complete the hat. Smush and crinkle to add character. Bend the tip of the hat, if desired.