Whether you are looking for a last minute holiday decoration or are an avid wine drinker….this DIY project is for you! Virginia Philip Wine Shop & Academy came up with this creative use for corks and I think it would make a great decoration for any cocktail party! Read on for the DIY instructions from Virginia:
1 10” diameter Styrofoam ball
Hot glue gun and plenty of glue sticks
10” thin metal
Tons of corks
Rope and/or metal chains
- Pierce ball through with thin metal wire until it passes opposite side. Tie one end in knot to secure, and pull back through until knot is firmly stuck at bottom
- Start anywhere on the ball and in a single line begin gluing corks to Styrofoam. Place plenty of glue on the bottom of the cork and then stick cork to the ball. Make sure to hold down for a moment to ensure glue is cooling. I suggest doing one long row half way around the ball.
- Begin second row of corks slightly off-line with beginning row, making sure to place corks in crevices of two corks
- Continue in this pattern so no large spaces are visible. Each row off centered from the previous one, slide in the crevices.
- Work one side of ball and then once dry, turn ball over to complete opposite side.
- When complete, make a hook with the straight metal and secure to your rope or chain.
- Hang at will.