I’m always on the look-out for gluten-free recipes….especially ones that look mouth-watering good! This polenta eggplant stack from Woman’s Day looks absolutely delicious and will be tested out in my kitchen this evening!
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small eggplant (8 oz), halved, sliced (3 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 small zucchini (8 oz), sliced (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1⁄4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tube (16 to 18 oz) ready- to-heat polenta, cut into 8 slices
- 1 large plum tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 cup marinara sauce, heated in microwave
- Garnish: chopped fresh basil
Heat 1 of the oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet. Add eggplant and onion. Cover and cook over medium-high heat 4 minutes, stirring a few times until slightly softened. Add 1 tsp of the remaining oil, the zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and cook 6 to 7 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables are tender. Remove to bowl; wipe or rinse skillet.
Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in skillet. Add polenta; cook 2 minutes over medium-high heat until bottoms are golden. Turn off the heat, turn polenta and spoon the vegetable mixture onto polenta (it’s OK if some falls onto the skillet). Top each with 1 slice of tomato and sprinkle with cheese.
Place the skillet over low heat; cover and cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Top with basil, if desired, and serve with sauce.